Tuesday, October 2, 2012

New York, Part 2

I rode around the rough streets of New York for the day. Really the streets are rough, quite awful in fact. It's like the people who paved them didn't have steam rollers. Anyway, I had been warned about crazy drivers and didn't experience too much of that. They all drive like me, which is to say somewhat aggressively. I should have been warned about the crazy pedestrians who cross whenever they feel like it, often in front of cars or buses.
I went to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial on the way to the Staten Island Ferry. The views from the ferry were great and it was free! After that I walked over the Brooklyn Bridge to take in the views. At the insistence of my friends Kaetlin and Rinky I went to Caracas Arepa for lunch. I decided to go to the Brooklyn location because I hadn't really been off of Manhattan very much. I had some delicious food and beer although I'm still not quite sure what an arepa is...some kind of grilled corn thing. Anyway mine was full of chorizo, jalapeño, and cheese.
On the way back to Manhattan I went through Williamsburg and saw lots of Hasidic Jews coming out of service with full on earlocks and these big fluffy hats. I hear they're called Brooklyn Cowboys.
After dropping the bike back by my friend Robin's apartment, I took the subway to meet up with my friend Mary Grace for dinner. We grabbed dirt cheap falafel and walked around Greenwich Village. We ended up also going to the Shake Shack for a Shack Burger and a Black and White (vanilla/chocolate shake).
After dinner we hit up a shush bar, which I had never heard of. There was quiet music playing, and when people in the bar got loud enough that the music was drowned out, the bartender shushed everyone. She even went outside at one point to shush a truck driver that left his truck beeping in reverse. The walls in the place were covered in frescoes which seemed classy, but on further inspection, everyone in them was hammered or sexually harassing someone, and there was one guy getting eaten by a shark. Also there was a dragon. We finished up the night at an Irish pub that brews their own beer. The choices were 'light' or 'dark'. It was impossible to order just 1 beer, when you ordered they always brought 2.
Full resolution photos

No comments:

Post a Comment