Monday, September 17, 2012

Chicago, Part 3

I spent a good bit of time this morning figuring out where I'll be for the next few weeks to make sure I'll finish the trip on time. Looks like I'm on schedule, but I'll have to hustle a bit. I tried to lunch at Standard India Restaurant, recommended by Leah and Nathan for the buffet, but it was closed so I settled for a Thai restaurant close by.
I tried to make a DIY throttle lock similar to this, and was moderately successful. The contraption I rigged up had 2 pieces, one of which clamped the other closed around the throttle. It proved to be too hard to operate with gloves on, so I scrapped the idea. I managed to slice my finger while working and had to make a DIY bandaid since I had my toolkit with me but not my medkit. I figured out how to use my crampbuster as a throttle lock so the problem is solved regardless.
After fiddling with throttle locks for far too long I went to the bar on the 96th floor of the Hancock Tower. The views were incredible. I knew Chicago is big, but it's hard to tell when you're down on the streets. Seeing everything from high up really tells you the scale of the city. A Swedish guy that was trying to recruit me away from Google bought me some Goose Island brew to drink while taking in the city.
After drinks at Hancock Tower I headed to the Greek district for dinner with Jeremy, who interned at Amazon with me 3 years ago. Had a bit of a scare getting to the restaurant as I entered the freeway on the left and had to exit on the right 1000 feet later. That's 5 lane changes, one about every 2 seconds.
I'm currently trying some local beer at a spot called Local Option. Hopefully nobody buys me Malort tonight.
Full resolution photos





No comments:

Post a Comment